sábado, 18 de agosto de 2012


Teaching Vocabulary

As we know, teaching vocabulary is really important for our students because that is the only way they can be more fluent and express their ideas correctly.
Learners usually start by noticing , then by reconigzing a word before they are able to produce it , so here I have four stages for new vocabulart acquisition:

The learner notices the new word (with help)
The learner learns to recognize it (with help)
The learner recognizes it on his/her own
The learner can both recognize and produce it.


Also, here I have ways to make vocabulary learning interesting for students:
Since students need to be motivated to learn vocabulary constantly, it is important that vocabulary review is as interesting as possible. Teachers can vary the types of exercises, strategies and activities. The visual element is equally important. Here are some of the activities I would like to use in my classroom.


Stage 1: Noticing the word: the visual element

  • Flashcards
  • Pictures


 













 Stage 2: Recognition

  • True/false
  • Categorize the words
  • Matching. (this category is huge with both open and closed types of exercises)Matching the word to its definition, L1-L2, opposites, adjectives and nouns, verbs and adverbs, word to the picture, match two words that go together
  • Multiple choice
  • Drawing the word
  • Bingo games
  • Circle the word you hear


















Stage 3: Production
  • Dictation
  • Answering questions
  • Guessing games: I’m thinking of:
  • Picture description
  • Miming




















Final Words: Points to consider
  • Try to have as many success oriented activities that are geared to the age groups you teach.
  • Gradually progress from one stage to another but vary the activities within each stage.
  • Consider appealing to the various multiple intelligences. The visual element in learning is particular important – for all age groups but particularly important for younger children.



Reflection : 

I do really believe that teaching  vocabulary is really important for our studens by following this stages I have posted .I really like the way os using  flashcards to teach vocabulary to my students because then I would be able to make  games with them such as...''Matching pictures with names'' or ''guessing the name of the picture''  and so on, actually there are many ways guys, you and only you as  a  manager have to find the correct  way to teach them.





5 comentarios:

  1. Hi Karen, I love flashcards because when I observed a children class last summer I can notice that you can use them in a lot of activities! I consider that they are perfect for a children class. Nice post!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. i like the flashcards thing , Ss really dig it and also they are really visual nowadays , in my opinion i allways liked to use flashcards on a class ¡ ¡¡ great job

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Yes Karen, I agree. The stages that you put are good. Its important to keep students motivate while learning vocabulary. I think that games are a fun way to learn especially for children.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hi Karen
    Games are a great way to keep students engaged
    Katya

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I agree with you Karen. Using flashcards is a good way to teach students vocabulary because they will understand better and also you can make some games that will help them to understand.

    ResponderEliminar